Sport Massage

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sport Massage

Hi all,

I've been doing endurance training and I've been feeling constantly tired, my muscle can't seem to recover. Some of my friends suggested I get a massage.

I'm a woman so I'm not too keen to get "bonus services" with "happy endings," just want to find something clean, professional, and not too pricey. I've heard horror story of women needing physiotherapy after being "manhandled" in massage parlor (on Disco Bay!!) and I'm not keen to become part of that statistic. I'm not interested in getting "beautified" either, just want to get rid of that constant soreness on my back/ arms.

So where do you go? A lot of my friends told me to go to mainland China, but my family told me it's not safe. What's your thoughts/ experience on that? Will also consider getting a massage chair, but are they safe/ effective?

Thanks,

Hi thisdress,

I understand what you mean. There is a massage place call Posture Plus located in the Central area that specializes in clinical massage for sports injury, rehabiliation, pregnancy massages ,etc. They have general full body and relaxation massages that ranges from and around 60 mins. However the services are a little bit pricey from $750.

Location is, 9/F, 10 Pottinger St., Central
    Tel is 2167-8801

Hope this helps.

Editor

Last edited by Editor; 19-08-2009 at 02:12 PM.

I think the key to not getting "manhandled" is making sure you can communicate properly with the masseuse. If i'm in excruciating pain, i will certainly let them know. For me personally, I like them to use as much force as I can take without causing the muscle to tense up. When i have a ton of knots, sometimes this isn't much force at all!

There's plenty of clean venues in HK and in China that don't offer happy endings and other funny business. Editor mentioned Posture Plus which I hear is of high quality but also pricey. I found a place I like near my apartment in cwb called Halite which is under 200 for 1hr chinese massage (i think they opened up in Soho recently as well). I know there's tons of other places just like it that offer decent quality massages without breaking the bank.

SZ is a bit of a pain to go to frequently but it's alot cheaper and much more of a luxurious experience. Usually for between 100-200RMB, you can get a 1.5 hr massage along with hot tub/sauna. Some also have buffets included and you can do pedicures,manicures, foot massage, and other stuff while sitting in big lazy boys and watching your personal tv. I would go for the nicer ones if you are concerned about safety. even better, just go with a friend or significant other.

In HK, I can recommend Philosophy Spa, you may recognise the name from the line of beauty products they sell in HK shops under the same name.

They cater for women mainly and some locations are women only. There's a men & women's one in Central, which I use sometimes when my muscles are knotted up badly. Men and women sections are strictly separate too.

PM me if you want a referral for a freebie facial to look at the place 1st (Be warned, they will most likely try to sell a package throughout treatment).

If you already have a valid China visa, there are good options in Shenzhen. I've introduced fellow Geoexpat's to massage places and they've been well received. If you are not familar then it is best to go in a group.
    1) Hong Kong GeoExpat - The Next Event!
    2) Hong Kong GeoExpat - New Event - Shenzhen II!
    If you are interested, you are welcome to join next time I head up there

Ken

Ken,
    What are your favorite places in SZ? Always curious to hear other's opinions....

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress:
    Hi all,

I've been doing endurance training and I've been feeling constantly tired, my muscle can't seem to recover. Some of my friends suggested I get a massage.

I'm a woman so I'm not too keen to get "bonus services" with "happy endings," just want to find something clean, professional, and not too pricey. I've heard horror story of women needing physiotherapy after being "manhandled" in massage parlor (on Disco Bay!!) and I'm not keen to become part of that statistic. I'm not interested in getting "beautified" either, just want to get rid of that constant soreness on my back/ arms.

So where do you go? A lot of my friends told me to go to mainland China, but my family told me it's not safe. What's your thoughts/ experience on that? Will also consider getting a massage chair, but are they safe/ effective?

Thanks,
    I can highly recommend Gordana Vignevic. She works Tuesday and Thursday morning in the DB Medical Center (29875633), Monday, Wednesday and Friday as well as Tuesday and Thursday afternoon in the Holistic Health Center in Central (25238490). She does deep tissue massage - it hurts like hell but you feel sooooo much better afterwards.
    Last edited by elle; 19-08-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Not sure if these guys are appropriate or not ... (i.e. not sure if they do sports massage...)

Mobile Massage - Massage Therapist Co-op - Massage Therapy - Hong Kong

Thanks people. Would love to find out more about the sz places, especially if you have experiences with "sport massage."

Editor: thanks, but that's definitely beyond my budget, especially since I plan to have my back kneaded regularly Elle, thanks for the numbers, I'll call to find out.

Massages are quite good to flush the toxins from your body but it's not always easy to find a good one that is available when you need it and the cost is significant.

I'm not sure what you're workouts are like but do you have a nutritional plan for your after workout? It makes a significant difference if you train for more than an hour on consecutive days.

There are several recovery specific supplements out there that are not too expensive. They must be taken in the first 30 minutes after your effort to be effective.

I use Ultragen by First Endurance, not particularly tasty but very effective. Don't know that it can be found in HK though, I order it online.

Rego is tastier but isn't as packed with "recovery ingredients". Make sure you check the labels and do some research. Some of the stuff out there isn't that good and merely gives you some extra protein...To help with sore muscles, it seems that you need a good complement of amino acids as well as a good shot of Glutamine. Anyway, just a thought...

Just drink chocolate milk.

Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink? - CBS News

OP: I've yet to find a 'cheap' place for a sports-type massage. The cheap places are all Thai/Chinese, which is completely different (and often at odds with) Western sports massage. Good luck in the hunt.

Last edited by jgl; 19-08-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast