Urgent: Food donations needed for Abused domestic helper shelter

Closed Thread

Urgent: Food donations needed for Abused domestic helper shelter

Bethune House in Jordan on Hong Kong’s Kowloon side provides temporary accommodation for domestic helpers who have been wronged by their employers and are seeking justice through the Labour Tribunal, the courts or both. The organisation urgently needs help with food and monetary donations.

The House has 22 bed spaces but is currently sheltering just over 60 residents who have been exploited and abused. It only has enough rice to feed these women for around a week. Anything you can give will be very much appreciated.

Details are as follows.

BETHUNE HOUSE FOOD DRIVE

SUPPORT FOR
    DOMESTIC HELPERS IN DISTRESS

The Bethune House Migrant Women’s Refuge provides temporary shelter for domestic helpers with

ON-GOING LABOUR CASES

We urgently need donations of foodstuffs such as rice, coffee, cooking oil, sugar and milk to feed our residents

Tax deductible CASH donations will also be accepted. Cheques should be payable to:

“The Bethune House Migrant Women’s Refuge, LTD.”

Address: c/o Mission for Migrant Workers
    St. John’s Cathedral, 4-8 Garden Road, Central

Tel: (+852) 2537-1333 or (+852) 9488-9044

The Bethune House Migrant Women’s Refuge Limited is a registered charitable institution under the Companies Ordinance (Cap 32) of Hong Kong

Last edited by KnowItAll; 29-08-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Can you email me some more details on [email protected]

Would be happy to feature something in the next newsletter.

Can food donations be dropped off at the St. John's Cathedral address or do they have to be taken directly to Kowloon? Thanks.

Food Can be Delivered to St John's Cathedral

To answer hello_there,

Yes, food can be dropped off at the Mission for Migrant Worker's office at St John's Cathedral. They would be very thankful for anything they can get.

I wrote the original of the appeal posted here. I have a little more information on my personal blog under the title Kowloon by Night.

My wife and I just contacted Edwina Antonio, Director of Bethune House, again. We'll put together some information for KnowItAll on the weekend.

Finally, thanks so very much clip_my_wings for including the appeal here!

yes, please confirm the 'drop of point'...would make a world of difference if say 25% of people on here dontated some food etc...

donations

Actually I don't know to much details as I just saw the information posted on a seperate website and thought it was worthwhile cause

A Death in Hong Kong

Anyway Just Spoken to them and they confirmed you can drop off either at the church in central or diectly at the house in Jordan. If you are dropping off a central they did ask that you ring the number (s) above to let them know so they can arrange a volunteer to collect

thanks

I have a bunch of kitchen stuff - saucepans, microwave, juicer, etc that I don't need. Will these guys have any need for them or does anyone know a charity that could use them?

Quote Originally Posted by clip_my_wings:
    Actually I don't know to much details as I just saw the information posted on a seperate website and thought it was worthwhile cause

A Death in Hong Kong

Anyway Just Spoken to them and they confirmed you can drop off either at the church in central or diectly at the house in Jordan. If you are dropping off a central they did ask that you ring the number (s) above to let them know so they can arrange a volunteer to collect

thanks