Like Tree3Likes

Help needed: Very small bugs everywhere in my flat - caused by humidity?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Help needed: Very small bugs everywhere in my flat - caused by humidity?

I m living in a brand-new flat in Sham Tseng.

A few days ago I noticed many very very small animals (much smaller than ants) everywhere on the walls and ceiling.
    Where do they come from? They probably like the humidity which is really a big problem here...

However, what can I do against these bugs? Not that I m afraid, but it's just disgusting to see them running around everywhere.
    My flat is very clean, I have a maid coming here twice a week, so it's definitely not caused by any dirt or so.

Here is a picture I have just taken:

Yes - it's from the humidity. You will need to get the apartment fumigated (twice) to get rid of them, and then get some sort of dehumidification in the apartment to keep them away.

If you talk to the Building Management people at your apartment they can probably recommend a fumigation company. If not then talk to a local friend. Don't start ringing around in English or you will get the "gweilo price".

Oh my God... I am so sorry to hear that... I am not sure what it is but it definately look very scary, i would be very upset if its in my house... Are you able to take a clearer picture ?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Yes - it's from the humidity. You will need to get the apartment fumigated (twice) to get rid of them, and then get some sort of dehumidification in the apartment to keep them away.

If you talk to the Building Management people at your apartment they can probably recommend a fumigation company. If not then talk to a local friend. Don't start ringing around in English or you will get the "gweilo price".
    Oh no.... :-(. How does it work? And how long will it take? Will it be necessary to leave the flat for a couple of days? How much do the companies usually charge? The flat is around 1,200 sqft.

I ll definitely use the aircons more often once the bugs are gone....

They come in and fumigate the place and you need not to be there for a few hours. They need to do it twice because they can only get the ones that have hatched so they have to come back to get the ones that haven't hatched first time IYSWIM.

I can't remember exactly how much it cost me a couple of years ago, but I think perhaps $5-600 for a similar size apartment.

Dehumidifiers can be a more cost effective way to keep an apartment dry than running aircons all day if there is no-one there.

Update

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    They come in and fumigate the place and you need not to be there for a few hours. They need to do it twice because they can only get the ones that have hatched so they have to come back to get the ones that haven't hatched first time IYSWIM.

I can't remember exactly how much it cost me a couple of years ago, but I think perhaps $5-600 for a similar size apartment.

Dehumidifiers can be a more cost effective way to keep an apartment dry than running aircons all day if there is no-one there.
    Two guys from the Management Office came to my flat today, for them it is obviously not a (big) problem at all.

"Sir, don't worry, even at my place there are many bugs, and many people in this building have the same problem! It is just so humid here on the higher floors...!"

I told them very clearly that I wanna get rid off these animals ASAP, so first thing they advised me is to buy stuff from a local supermarket...
    I showed them all my rooms, so they finally understood that this problem can not be solved using ordinary spray, so they finally provied me with the numbers of two pest control companies. Will ask a friend to call them up 2morrow, hope they can help me without harming my health... ;-)
    Last edited by DaveD; 28-06-2007 at 06:46 PM.

I think they are book lice (psocids) as i recently discovered in another thread. I also live in a brand new apartment and have the same problem, they are all over the walls and ceilings, it was seeing them on the duvet that really started freaking me out! They are very inactive and look like tiny ants. When they are young they are white, almost translucent infact, so are pretty hard to spot. As they age they get a bit darker in colour and are much easier to notice.

I started using a dehumidifier which has reduced the numbers quite significantly. They are very hardy though, from what i have read they are very difficult to erradicate completely. This entire complex is completely infested, i have spoken with many other people here who are experincing the same problem.

we used to get these in my mother-in-laws flat when we were living there. I go back every so often and see they have come back, but what I used to do was get the hoover out and vacuum the walls and ceiling. It would take care of them for afew weeks at a time.

They seem to like to hang around the damp stains on the paint. Do you have damp stains (i.e. browning patches) on your walls/ceilings anywhere. If so I recommend getting some damp/mould resistant paint and touching the place up.

Thankfully, our new place has been redecorated and we don't get them here (even though the humidity can be just as bad as the other place).

But what do these book lice do? beside they look really scary especially when you see them on your duvet!!!! I dont think I even dare to step into the House.... Do book lice harm us?

Dave, how is your house doing?????

They are completely harmless to humans. They are still extremely annoying though! I just opened a cerial box and two were inside, i really can't handle them getting in my food.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast