Transporting Dogs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Transporting Dogs

Hello all...had to re-register as this name, my old TXTransplant moniker didn't work anymore.

We are working on final preparations to move to HK in March...everything is in order and we've started looking at ways to get the dogs overseas. We contacted someone at www.petsfly.com who was recommended to us by a pet exporter that we spoke with in HK. They quoted us $3600 US to ship 2 50 pound dogs to HK!!!

That seemed ridiculously high to me and I was wondering if anyone out there knew of another company I could get a competitive quote from.

Also, does anyone have any experience with other ways of getting the dogs there? I always thought that you could just check them on the plane, but maybe I'm wrong...I'd like to get in contact with the vet that you all have post on here from time to time to get his opinion, can someone send me his information or refer him to this post?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BTW: The wife and I will be making our house hunting trip to HK in late Feb...I feel I owe some beers for the help I've received...maybe I can get the chance to meet with some of you.

Hi JP,

I can't help you with information on your dogs, but I can tell you what I have done so far.

I will be moving to Hong Kong by the end of February and I will bring my cat along. I have contacted www.export-a-pet.com and they have quoted me the following:

My fee for importing pets into Hong Kong is $ 2500 HKD for the first pet and $ 1000 HKD per additional pet (Plus extra $ 800 HKD if pets arrive out of office hours). My service includes obtaining the import license and sending it to you. Informing the Agriculture and Fisheries Department of the animal's arrival, collecting them from the airport, clearing through customs and delivering to your home or kennel if required.

Extra fees are $ 435 HKD for the first pet and $ 105 HKD per additional pet for the import license and of course the quarantine boarding fees if necessary which are approx. $ 105 HKD per day per dog and $ 68 HKD per cat.

Now I am looking into flying her over there and I hope that she will be able to accompany me in the cabin (United quoted me $130 USD).

Hope this helps a little and I'll keep you updated on any further info I might find.

Dutchie

Cat Questions

hi Dutchie
    how are you..i have 2 cats of my own in singapore and am going to be coming to hk in feb.
    Wanted to ask you a couple of questions with the exportapet thing..
    1> the price they mentioned includes pick up from your place of origin and drop off to your doorstep in HK?...and does it also include vaccination and microchip implant?...your country of origin?..i am trying to calculate how much it might take someone from singapore..hey when you are in hk..we should definately hook up for beers and like..
    cheers
    AKD

AKD / Rest

This thread has a lot of information in it.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...ht=vaccination

Export-A-Pet

Hi AKD,

I have attached the offer Export-A-Pet has sent me. I'll be transfering over from Washington, DC, but I do not think his quote will be different for somebody coming over from Singapore.
    As far as I know his quote is only for arranging the paperwork, collecting them from the airport, clearing through customs and delivering to your home or kennel. It does not include the vacination etc. and I don't think you need the microchip implant.
    You might want to contact www.petsfly.com. I have just sent them an e-mail and they offer more services.

Going for beers always sounds good to me!!!! As soon as I'm settled in HK I will contact you!

Good luck and I'll keep you updated if I find any other info!

Dutchie

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

thanks dutchie
    one thing that i didnt understand clearly was the fact that, export a pet takes care of things once the pet is in hk..not from USA to HK..so for the US part would be taken care by you?..that means sending the pets by cargo , and all the vaccinations and micro chip of course..more importantly sending the pets by cargo...and i think singapore would be marginally cheaper, as the 2 countries are closer, as i have been told by an agency here..but hey thanks for the info..and will definately keep you in the loop if i hear of a better deal than the one here..
    cheers
    Ameet

Hi JPMeaney.

I just arrived in HK from France a couple of weeks ago with my dog and would urge you to use export a pet or a similar service. Unfortunately, you can't check dogs in as non-accompanied baggage, as you can when you travel to other places, which means paying a hefty cargo fee. This also means complicated procedures for getting pets out of cargo and through customs etc. The French company that arranged the transport of my dog assured me, repeatedly, that all the paperwork was in order. It wasn't. There was one document missing (the one asserting that France had been rabies free for 6 months) and the HK officials insisted on keeping my dog in the lockup until we had everything together. Luckily, we managed to get everything from France before midnight (which, of course, involved waiting for numerous French officials getting back from their 2-hour lunches). The dog didn't much like being kept in the lockup for 14 hours after a long flight... I used Export a Pet when I moved from HK to Thailand a few years ago, and they provided an excellent service. They'll know exactly what paperwork you'll need. They can also pick up your dog from the cargo terminal, which is rather inconveniently located away from the main arrival terminal. I would definitely use them next time.

hi JP

i just moved with my 50kg dog and 2 cats from europe - 2 years before that i moved from the USA to europe and yes i was able to chekc all of them as "luggage" - but HK has other procedures.

I acutally did everything myself - and I would recommend you the same because it is not that hard - as long as they come over at the same time as you.

get in touch with the acriculture and fishery dept. in hong kong for a special permit (takes about 3 weeks), you will get all the info on there what to do and what shots your dogs need - go to a vet and get all the shots done, you need to have this paper signed (completed by the vet) by an official vet office - which exists everywhere. - i microchipped my dog - although no need to - since the dogs will get microchipped anyway again at the airport. - they also will get a rabies booster - even if you just did it at the vet.

make arrangements with the airline you fly with - you need to let them know in advance that you want to bring your pets along.

the day you fly you will check them in first and then pick them up at the aiport terminal 1 in HK, need to get some paperwork done before they release them but it is going actually pretty smooth - i was pleasantly suprised.

check out the www.hongkongpropertyman.com site it is great and has loooooots of really great info. - GOOD MOVE.

Mak,
    Thanks for all the great info! You're helping to put my mind at ease about the move. I'm sure we'll see you and your Rhodesian Ridgeback on DB sometime in the next few months...i'll be the guy with a boxer and border collie.

Transporting Pets - info on pet's flight

I would like to revive this thread to hear more, particularly from Dutchie, about your pet's flight to Hong Kong. We are moving with our cat to Hong Kong, and I am very worried that she won't be able to travel in the cabin with us. I am familiar with the import requirements and am concerned now with the actual flight. Scout is a little scaredy cat, and I want to ensure her comfort/safety to the greatest extent that I can. We will likely use the services of Export-a-Pet. Thank you for any information. Kathy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast