Like Tree1Likes

learn Cantonese or mandarin??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool learn Cantonese or mandarin??

My bf and I would like to move back to Hong kong in few years time.He is british,can't speak any chinese at all!!!I know it would be easy for him to find a job in hong kong if he can speak chinese. But which languages should he learn or which one is more helpful??? Cantonese or Mandarin?? Please advise~~~~Thx~

Depends on the jobs he's looking to get.
    Cantonese sure helps if he's working WITH locals,
    Mandarin is a huge ASSET if he's talking with China.

I am told by many that Mandarin is more important,
    but those people already know Cantonese and I think they overlook the value and practicality of knowing Cantonese.

Sure Mandarin is a huge asset - if ever you go to China or you know enough Cantonese...but I think if you're in Hong Kong, it sure helps to know Cantonese.

I think it would be a shame if he worked in HK for a couple of years and did not take up Cantonese. I have met a few expats who have reflected on their past few years in Hong Kong and regret not having picked up any Cantonese. It's possible.

Think about it - basic Mandarin alone won't get you the sale from China - but basic Cantonese can help you get places by Taxis and keep your job.

My two cents.
    I say learn the local language (Cantonese),
    THEN look abroad (like learning Mandarin).

P.S.: Good luck finding any good Cantonese courses outside of Hong Kong. Get this: you need to know Cantonese to learn. Figure that.

For further advice on learning Cantonese and general discussions see http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/index.php

Thanks alot~~~Will start to learn cantonese~~

Exclamation Learning Cantonese: goto YMCA

Your BEST bet at taking GOOD courses are at the YMCA in Tsim Sha Tsui.

I've paid $3200 at this terrible place called the "Hong Kong Institute of Languages" and boy did it suck. (for 10 weeks of 1.5 hours x2 / week = 30 hours of nothing) "At the HKIL, you pay for the name!" is their motto.

Although I didn't learn much Cantonese, I learned instead how to get to cry my hard-earned money away.

It is best to go to the YMCA; they have 10 sessions of 2 hours each (weekly). There are also intensive courses (twice a week). For $900 you won't cry, but smile with pride with learning to speak.

They also have Mandarin classes, if anyone was wondering...

YMCA is about a block from the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR exit (E).

The next set of courses start in January, I believe.

Info:
    http://www.ymcahkcollege.edu.hk/PTpage%2037-41.pdf
    http://www.ymcahkcollege.edu.hk/
    (The pages are hard to navigate, you may want to contact them directly

Address: 6/F, 41, Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
    Tel no.: 2268 7733
    Fax no.: 2268 7797
    E-mail: [email protected]

laurencerothwel likes this.

learn Cantonese or mandarin??

He may not need to learn Cantonese coz a English live in HK can speak English. But if he can speak very well Mandarin will always give others a shock, he is better than HKness!

So, go ahead to learn Mandarin, I suggest. Not becuase I was ever a Mandarin tutor, but I know too much foreigners living in HK with no problem who can not speak cantonese.

Nivanti - do you have some more details about this place?

Arrow deciding between Cantonese and Mandarin

Quote Originally Posted by Akita:
    He may not need to learn Cantonese coz a English live in HK can speak English. But if he can speak very well Mandarin will always give others a shock, he is better than HKness!

So, go ahead to learn Mandarin, I suggest. Not becuase I was ever a Mandarin tutor, but I know too much foreigners living in HK with no problem who can not speak cantonese.
    Akita,
    you raise some very important points here. I'll summarise and comment:

1. Cantonese IS very difficult for westerners to learn.
    With 7 tones vs. the 4 in Mandarin, Mandarin is much easier. The tones do constitute a great learning curve.

2. HKers speak English. Foreigners don't need to speak Cantonese.
    At least the ones interacting with foreigners. Hong Kongers pick it up easily, having learned it in school, and with a little practice they hone (develop) it very well.

Another point to this is speaking semi-good Cantonese impresses no one, and may even be embarrassing.

The 3rd point makes a decision between choosing the two a bit more complicated -

3. Mandarin gives an edge.
    HKers are flocking by the masses to learn Mandarin. Hong Kong is orienting toward China.

As this develops, expect fewer and fewer Hong Kongers to know how to speak English well. BUT while English is a world-standard language - it can still be understood.

Conclusion (to TinTin)
    Hmmmm...it is a hard one.
    I guess knowing this info he (and you) can make your decision.
    Learning both at the same time would be daunting and confusing.

I guess I can offer some direction:
    Know what your aim is.

1. Is your aim a pleasant life in Hong Kong or aspirations for a succesful life?
    A pleasant life in Hong Kong would be a firm understanding for life in Hong Kong, and learning Cantonese would certainly help to get closer with the culture and people.

• Aspirations for a succesful life means being competitive, and a firm grasp of Mandarin could give a competitive edge over others.
    Keep in mind:
    It is easy to practice and develop Cantonese, being in Hong Kong, especially if you yourself can speak it.

Having a competitive edge on Mandarin would be difficult - you need to know quite a bit and one doesn't get a chance often to practice it. But that may just be my bias coming out. I don't know.

So...
    Tintin214... what was the decision?

Hihihi~~~Happy New Year!!!!!Wish you all the best in 2005~~~~~
    My decision is to buy a cantonese learning CD first.
    See how it goes.
    How about you??are you work in h.k now??and can you speak any cantonese and mandarin??is it better if you can speak cantonese??
    Thanks for yr advise~~~You are very nice~~~

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast