getting married!! Please advise :)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    This is bizarre! How on earth could my country of origin (the UK as it happens) certify that I am single? I haven't lived there for 10 years and they have no idea whether I had married anywhere even when I did live there.

There is no need for any such certificate (I went through this within the last year).
    Maybe confused with the requirments of the Mainland authorities.

The UK embassy can issue a 'Certificate of no impediment' which is required to get married in China.

I should add that this could also be old news, it's been 10 years since I went through the process.

Having been through the process, I would agree with PDLM on this that the easiest route is just to ring a civil celebrant and book a date in his or her office. It was no hassle and we followed it with a church wedding.

thank you guys, i think we'll just use the solicitor that sound like the most easiest idea, I'll have a talk with my fiance' about this

don't see how a solicitor is easier than the registry, just more expensive (in my opinion)

getting married

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatekisses:
    he finally Asked! and now we're engaged, we're planing to have our wedding early next year in Thailand. but since we moved to HK i thought it would be easier to have all the legal paper work done in HK and also later on get me dependent Visa, (My fiance' have a work visa and HKID) i've been reading about getting married in HK and went to the website but its still very confusing to me, is it possible for us to have sign the marriage certificate and all the paper work in HK but have the wedding ceremony in Thailand ? Could anyone please advise me on how to do this?
    go directly to the marriage registry for they are the one who can give you the exact answer to your question with less expense. good luck and GOD bless..

I spoke to my fiance' he'll said we'll try the registry see how we go, we're going to process it soon so if we run in to trouble i'll come back for more advice thanks guys

Went to marriages registry today to give notice, and to my surprise , they ask me for "certificate of absence of marriage record " = single paper , prob becoz i dont have HKID and using my passport as a document, i'm going to try ringing my embassy tomorrow and see if i could get a hand of that paper here or if i've to go back to thailand (paper work r no fun! )

keeping my fingers crossed for you!

That's ridiculous - from which country? There are 200+ countries in the world where you could have got married - are you supposed to collect certificates from all of them?

I think you misunderstood - what they need is a witnessed affidavit from you that you are not married. That's all. Avoiding misunderstandings like this is another reason for simply paying a solicitor/civil celebrant a few hundred dollars extra to sort everything out.

From thailand,

sadly i spoke to thai embassy and they said since i dont have HKID , i'll have to go back to bangkok to get my paperwork they were very helpful and very fast respond but they can't help me at this time.
    Look like there'll be another shopping/paper work trip down to bangkok for me again soon !