Like Tree22Likes

Educational value add

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paenme:
    No doubt China has a long long way to go, but for any country trying to learn from the best and improve based on where UK is currently trending, education system or otherwise, is probably not the ideal.

Is UK innovation dying? The British Library needs you
    I don't think I ever said any other country should follow the UK's approach or that it was the best. If I thought that would I be an expat? You are strange, whereas I can find good in every country and their people you just seem to find bad. Don't you find it makes you miserable?

Gives some idea of US registered patents. Japan & USA lead the pack.

China's US registered patents have grown 20 fold in the 10 years

Patents By Country, State, and Year - All Patent Types (December 2009)

If we look at innovation (patents registered) as a measure of GDP then have a look at the below. This is a rough measure of innovation in the economy (rather than the population).

http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www...igin_table.xls

Patent filings per $billion Gross Domestic Product in 2006
    Republic of Korea 116.18
    Japan 87.42
    Moldova 34.05
    New Zealand 20.70
    China 20.63
    Germany 18.05
    United States of America 17.46
    Russian Federation 15.32
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think I ever said any other country should follow the UK's approach or that it was the best. If I thought that would I be an expat? You are strange, whereas I can find good in every country and their people you just seem to find bad. Don't you find it makes you miserable?
    Not sure I understand where you are coming from. The topic of this discussion is standardized test scores and education systems, and I have certainly acknowledged Finland and several other countries for their achievements in this very same thread. What would be the point of praising others that are not performing well or whose performance has been trending down? That would seem to share the same mentality that every teacher is good and unique in their own way, there are no bad teachers just misunderstood teachers, and therefore no teachers should ever be evaluated or let go based on their performance?

I am not miserable at all, my family has been blessed that we have been living healthfully and happily in the best parts of the world (“best” to us). I am fair and honest and happy to give credit to anyone where it’s due, especially when it is earned through hard work and smart effort (and hopefully ethically). Had the topic been 19th century super powers and their then achievements, or countries that overall positively influenced Asia’s world city in recent history, UK would certainly come up on top. But that’s not the topic of discussions in this thread.

hullexile and ArKay like this.

Very sad indeed. A life, and others no doubt, ruined to score political points. I agree with everything in this article.

You can not, and should not judge performance on a simple measure that does not take into account all the factors. You definitely should not then publish these results knowing them to be far from adequate.

Last edited by hullexile; 02-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Very sad indeed. A life, and others no doubt, ruined to score political points. I agree with everything in this article.

You can not, and should not judge performance on a simple measure that does not take into account all the factors. You definitely should not then publish these results knowing them to be far from adequate.
    What a crock. Very sad, indeed, that this guy is dead. But to imply that because he supposedly killed himself because of his EVA rating (which wasn't that bad) and that he therefore should have been 'protected' somehow (by denying the public the right to know the rating) is insulting to every other person in the world who actually has to show up for a performance evaluation and doesn't off themselves just because they get a bad one.

Presumably, this person should be pitied because he apparently was mentally ill. I have nothing but contempt for the notion that poor performance should be rewarded, just because we need to keep up the 'self esteem' of the person being reviewed.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 02-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.

For as much as I sympathize with this guy (and hope he will rest in peace), someone who is in such fragile mental state that in the first instance of distraught chose to kill himself is probably not suitable for teaching our younger generation. A normal, strong person would learn from this lesson, readjust and improve (and I believe most teachers fall in this category). This guy's suicide sends the worst message to his students and showed that the Times publishing, while not entirely without risk, has started to help filtering out those weak and unsuitable (although hopefully future cases do not involve death).

Last edited by paenme; 02-10-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    What a crock. Very sad, indeed, that this guy is dead. But to imply that because he supposedly killed himself because of his EVA rating (which wasn't that bad) and that he therefore should have been 'protected' somehow (by denying the public the right to know the rating) is insulting to every other person in the world who actually has to show up for a performance evaluation and doesn't off themselves just because they get a bad one.

Presumably, this person should be pitied because he apparently was mentally ill. I have nothing but contempt for the notion that poor performance should be rewarded, just because we need to keep up the 'self esteem' of the person being reviewed.
    Well firstly everyone else's performance appraisals are not mentioned in the paper. Today there was a report that one trader was responsible for the collapse of the US stock market a while back. Was his name published? Has your performance appraisal ever been published? It is worse than that though because it is not a performance appraisal but one part of it.

It is sad when someone takes their own life. Is it known why Rigoberto Ruelas took his?

Publishing single year data on teacher only data is harsh and probably only should be done at school level so poor schools can go bankrupt due to no one wanting to attend.

I agree that the value-added data used in the LA Times article under discussion were of questionable reliability at least. Teachers should have their performance evaluated-accurately. I also agree that many public schools have failed their students miserably for decades and even that closing them down and looking at charter schools could be part of the solution. I also think we need to look at the way public schools are generally administered and funded in the US. They are usually paid for by local property taxes and controlled by a local school district. This has the predictable result of creating bad schools in some areas and good schools in others with a lot in between, even in the public system.
    That said, schools in the areas where students have the lowest reading scores, etcetera, face lots of challenges schools in the suburbs do not. For example, principles of inner city schools spend more of their time worrying about whether students are bringing drugs or weapons to school. Another problem that public schools have (which private schools sometimes don't) is that they have to take every student and in some districts there are more children born with certain disabilities, etcetera. Long story short, the problems with American public education are complex and multi-faceted solutions are needed.