Heeeelp we are moving to HK!

Closed Thread

Heeeelp we are moving to HK!

Hope I am doing this right! Have sooo many questions and not enough room.. I hope some kind soul can help me out there.. bit daunted.. moving to HK with Husband and toddler and baby... and don't know where to start...

Q1 - Could someone please give me the ups and downs of DBay vs Happy Valley or Repulse Bay... so far the only options i have looked at apartment wise.

Q2 Can i bring electrical goods, like tv, computer, toaster, kettle etc to HK from Australia?

Q3 Do bedrooms have built in wardrobes as the norm?

Q4 What is the school age for children to begin schooling?

Q5 Is internet grocery shopping the 'done' thing.. how do you bring it all home without a car if you are shopping for a family?

Q6 - What is an AMAH? Does everyone have one!!!!!!!! Do i need one?!?!?!?!?!?

Q7 - Does anyone know how to keep up with the vaccination schedule requird in Australia?

I know there are lots and lots of questions.. but an answer to just one would be soooooo appreciated!

Wink

Q1. Discoveyr Bay is the best with children, you also have a lge population of expats there to familiarise yourself with. Kids play all together and is really safe plus you get out of the bustle of HK.
    q2.Would not really bother bringin stuff over you can fins it really cheap here.
    Q3. MOst places do have built in wardrobes but that might be generalisation.
    Q4. Kids start school around two but primary starts at five. some kids just go to playgroups for longer. (tons in DB)
    q5. Internet shopping can be done but more than likely in hong kong Park and shop normally deliver so not really a prob. Not many people have cars.
    q6.An amah is like a helper/maid. No not everyone has one. Some have them to look after the kids if your both working. Some have one just part time hours for few days a week to help with chores. some do not have one at all.
    Q7. Vaccines are diff form hk to uk so may be also diff from aus to hk as well. But they will tell you what you need over here for your child. Roughly sae anyhow just continue from your home land.

Vague but helpful i hope.

Only thing i would advise against is not bringing things over. If the company or whoever is willing to pay to have you bring things with you, then take advantage. I brought a lot of our electricals such as stereo, surround sound and PC with me from Oz, and also brought along powerboards to use here with an adaptor. I don't think electronics are that much cheaper here at all!

Thanks Heaps for this Info.. do you live on DBay yourself. If so any recommendations on good apt blocks ? STill not sure whether I want to miss out on allll the bustle.. was thinking even maybe Pok Fu Lam... ?

Thanks again
    : )

Thanks all for the advice.. invaluable.. this site is AWESOME...

Dont decide on the DB versus HK Island thing until you check them both out. DB is an acquired taste and not for everybody. We lived in HK for 7 years in 90's and DB definitely not our thing. We are moving back later this year with young kids and are looking at south side such as stanley, CHK, Repulse bay. Getting to and from DB is a real hassle if your sociable, and its a bit "eldorado"esque (old UK sitcom based in spain.....guess you wouldnt have seen it in Aussie). Good luck.