Like Tree17Likes

A hair question for the ladies (or the hairdressers!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

A hair question for the ladies (or the hairdressers!)

I have a very specific question about hair and was wondering if anyone could help as Google hasn't given me much info.

I had my hair straightened with a Japanese perm at Mina Dev'wil last November and I've been really happy with it as it totally kills all the frizz and is wash & go (the 2nd time I've had it done there). Now I've decided that I'm a bit bored with the straight 'do and quite fancy a loose wave instead.

My question is...is it possible to wavy perm hair after a previous straightening perm? I know that this type of perm doesn’t wear off and grows out from the roots, but I'm not sure if that means I'd have to grow it all out first (which would take years) or whether I can just get a new perm on top?

Luckily my hair is very tough after years of abusive colour & chemical treatments so it shouldn't all fall out. Although if it does, I'll be back with a request for a good wig shop...!

Thanks for your help!

Can't help you with your question, sorry, but I have a question for you... What's your (natural) hair like? Are you western? I keep thinking about straightening but worry about destroying my hair!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Luckily my hair is very tough after years of abusive colour & chemical treatments
    Er... hair doesn't work like that.

I think you need to get your hair checked by a professional who can see the condition of the hair (some perms aren't done so well and this can affect whatever you do to it afterwards). But perms these days are not as harsh as they were years ago so you might be alright.

Claire: Sorry, what I probably should've written was
    'Luckily my hair is very tough despite years of abusive colour & chemical treatments!'

ArKay: I naturally have thick frizzy western hair that kinks uncontrollably(think Hermione Grainger from Harry Potter!) and in this humid climate it definitely needs some help. Straight has been very user-friendly but now I really want to get a gentle wave minus the frizz, hence the perm idea.

After going to have the straightening done at Mina Dev'wil last time, I went back to my regular hairdresser after 6 weeks for a cut / colour and she actually refused to trim my hair as she reckoned it was in such good condition that it would be a waste of time as I'm trying to grow it! It's certainly been much better for my hair than constant ironing was back in the UK - I now never use any heat on it. I know some people with very fine or delicate hair have had problems and Google will give you hundreds of horror stories, but I've been really very happy with it, as have a couple of other friends here in HK.

Just fancy a change really!

EDIT: If you are thinking of going straight, Mina Dev'wil are fine, if a bit basic, but I went for the upgraded package which uses Matrix treatments as I heard the basic stuff can be quite drying. Package was $800 for cut, colour, straightening and deep conditioning treatment (as opposed to their standard $498 deal) and took about 4 hours.

Last edited by kjfarr; 18-03-2010 at 02:24 PM.
    ArKay likes this.

Hmmm....

How much is it at Mina Dev'wil?

I love the thought of just washing my hair and that's it - no hair-dryer, no GHD, no return to frizziness within 7 minutes of stepping outside...

It's really great and ideal for someone as lazy as me! My GHD's are now consigned to a dusty box and I save a fortune on serum/heat protector spray, etc.

I suppose I'll call my hairdresser this weekend to see, but I'm worried that they won't really know as I bet not many people go from straight to curly. Ideally, I'd love to hear from someone who has actually tried to do this themselves.

It seems really cheap...

Did you have to not wash and not move a single hair for 3 days or something?

Yep, for 48 hours after you have to avoid washing, tucking your hair behind your ears, putting it in a ponytail, etc as it will create a long-lasting ridge, but after that you're free to do whatever you want with it. Ultimate low-maintenance!

Be aware that this does grow out from the roots (like a permanent colour) so over time you will start to get some frizz back as your new, untreated hair appears, which I suppose can look a bit odd if your hair is naturally very curly (mine isn't). My hair grows relatively quickly and I've had it done at 6 monthly intervals - a friend of mine only has it done once a year as her hair grows a bit slower.

ArKay likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I know someone who went from straight to wavy, her hair is Asian. Seemed to work okay. But I haven't looked closely enough to check out the condition. I'm sure it's fairly common as fashions change and you don't see so many people with the straightening now - they couldn't have all waited for it to grow out.

kjfarr likes this.

Thanks kjfarr. My hair's fairly straight too - just frizzy and kinky in the humidity, so I'm not too worried about re-growth.

One last question! Once it's chemically straightened, can it still be styled in other ways? Like with curling tongs, etc.? Or does the straightening make that difficult?

Oh - and what happens when you go to bed during that 48 hour period? Might you not end up with kinks/flatter bits from sleeping with your head in a certain position??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast